Welcome to Fallbrook VFW Post 1924

 1175 Old Stage Rd
Fallbrook, CA 92028
Afternoon Phone
(760) 728-8784 

About Us

Charles E. Swisher VFW Post 1924

  •  The naming of VFW Post 1924 unfolds as follows: The Fallbrook VFW Post 1924 was established
    February  2, 1941 by WW1 veterans. The original twenty eight members  included Walter Hughes, Leon Swisher, Will T. Scott and Frank Parkinson.  Walter's wife Gertrude became the first President of the Auxiliary.  Meetings were held in the basement of the Oddfellows Hall.

Charles  E. Swisher attended the Fallbrook Schools and then joined the Navy on  November 7, 1940. He was stationed on the Arizona and had been promoted  to seaman first class. On December 6, 1941 he met Francis and Clayton  Parkinson (Jack Parkinson's brothers), to attend the "Challenge of the  Bands" concert on the base. After the concert Charles stood watch on the  Arizona from midnight to 4AM and then went to sleep.

NOW  COMES THE ATTACK AT PEARL HARBOR!

At  07:55AM December 7, 1941, Japanese planes from six aircraft carriers  attacked the ships and bases in Hawaii. At 08:06AM a bomb hit between  and to starboard of turrets #1 & 2 on the Arizona. It is widely  accepted that the black powder magazine (used for aircraft catapults)  detonated first, igniting the smokeless powder magazine (used for  the ships main armament). The cataclysmic explosion ripped through the  forward part of the ship and after several more bomb hits, she sank.  Nine minutes after the magazine bomb hit, the Arizona was setting on the  bottom of the bay and 1,177 of the 1,400 sailors and marines onboard  were killed. Credit for the magazine bomb hit on the Arizona was  officially given to Japanese pilot Tadashi Kusumi.

Charles was  sleeping-in on Sunday morning in the bow area of the Arizona when the  attack started and was killed. Charles E. Swisher was dead at 19 years, 1  month, and 14 days old. On December 21st his family was told  that Charles was missing.

War was declared on the Japanese Empire  on December 7, 1941 by the President after our bases and ships at  Hawaii were attacked. All of our battleships were damaged or sunk that  day.

There was a lot of patriotism all the U.S. during the war.  It seemed greater in small towns where you knew all your neighbors. On  June 12, 1942, the Post's members voted to change the Post's name and  Charles E. Swisher was added to the Post's official name. The July 10,  1942 issue of the Fallbrook Enterprise Newspaper states that VFW  Headquarters had officially changed the name of the Post.

The day  the war was over was a major event. In Fallbrook, the 2,700 residents  had sacrificed during the war and were grateful that it was over. Will  T. and Martha Scott were two of Fallbrook's prominent and grateful  residents. They owned a ranch, orchard, an auto dealership and the local  Standard gas station. Will was active in the Chamber of Commerce and  was Junior Vice commander in the VFW. They donated two large lots to the  VFW on September 29, 1945.

Charles' body was sent home in late 1947 and is buried with his grandparents at the Brea Cemetery in Orange County.
 

Parents:
Leon William Swisher (1896 - 1958)
Mary Henrietta Ingraham Gregersen (1900 - 1984)

Burial:
Loma Vista Memorial Park
Fullerton, Orange County, California, USA
Plot: Evergreen Lawn 

Post Hours

Great meals. Great drinks. Great people. Be a part of our family at Fallbrook Post 1924.

 Dining Hall Hours
Monday
4:45pm-6:30pm
Friday
6:00pm-7:30pm
Third and Fifth Sunday Brunch
8:30am-11:00am

Fallbrook VFW

1175 Old Stage Rd, Fallbrook, CA 92028, US

(760) 728-8784

Canteen/Bar Hours

Mon

3:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Tue

3:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Wed

3:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Thu

3:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Fri

3:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Sat

12:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Sun

2:00 pm – 6:00 pm

 Third and Fifth Sunday Brunch
8:30am-11:00pm